Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2020  |  Volume : 24  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 329--333

Long-term stability of retreated defective restorations in patients with vertical food impaction


Golpar Radafshar1, Fahimeh Khaghani1, Samar Rahimpoor2, Arshia Shad3 
1 Department of Periodontology, Dental Sciences Research Centre, Faculty of Dentistry, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Rasht, Iran
2 Department of Oral Diseases, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
3 Faculty of Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Correspondence Address:
Golpar Radafshar
Department of Periodontology, Dental Sciences Research Center, Faculty of Dentistry, Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Fuman-Saravan Road, Raht 41941-73774
Iran

Background: Vertical food impaction (VFI) is a common complaint among patients receiving interproximal restorations. However, there is a gap in the literature regarding outcomes of treating defective restorations with VFI. This study sought to determine 10-year stability of retreated defective restorations in patients diagnosed with VFI. Materials and Methods: A total of 150 teeth (75 pair), in 38 patients comprised our study population. All the participants had been diagnosed with VFI due to faulty restorations and treated by means of redoing the restoration to build a stable contact in at least one restored tooth. The criteria for building an optimum dental contact were defined. Demographic characteristics, date and frequency of redoing the restoration, type and material of restoration, number of restored surfaces, occlusal intercuspal relationship, missing adjacent and/or opposing teeth, cemento enamel junction to alveolar crest distance, recurrence of VFI symptoms, recurrent caries, and periapical pathology as well as periodontal variables were recorded. Results: Kaplan–Meier estimator revealed that the mean ± standard deviation of 1, 3, 5, and 10-year stability of reconstructed contacts was 89/2% ± 3/6%, 79/2% ± 5%, 70/7% ± 0/06%, and 66/3% ± 7/1%, respectively. The overall cumulative stability rate was 74/4%. Further analysis predicted that over a 12-year period, restored contacts were stable for 8.86 ± 0.6 years. Cox regression model indicated that having cusp to marginal ridge occlusal relationship (95% confidence interval [CI] for hazard risk (HR) = 1/1–13/9, HR = 3/93), and being over 40 years of age (95% CI for HR = 0/88–17/66, HR = 3/95) were major determinants of contact stability. Conclusions: Long-term stability of retreated and restructured tooth contacts with a history of VFI was 66%–89% in this specific sample.


How to cite this article:
Radafshar G, Khaghani F, Rahimpoor S, Shad A. Long-term stability of retreated defective restorations in patients with vertical food impaction.J Indian Soc Periodontol 2020;24:329-333


How to cite this URL:
Radafshar G, Khaghani F, Rahimpoor S, Shad A. Long-term stability of retreated defective restorations in patients with vertical food impaction. J Indian Soc Periodontol [serial online] 2020 [cited 2021 Sep 16 ];24:329-333
Available from: https://www.jisponline.com/article.asp?issn=0972-124X;year=2020;volume=24;issue=4;spage=329;epage=333;aulast=Radafshar;type=0